6th Gen Camaro Forum

6th Gen Camaro Forum (https://www.camaro6.org/forum/)
-   The Car Lounge (https://www.camaro6.org/forum/337-car-lounge/)
-   -   Valet Mode is Illegal... (https://www.camaro6.org/forum/337-car-lounge/2025-valet-mode-illegal.html)

Yardbird 09-30-2014 03:45 PM

Valet Mode is Illegal...

Seems that GM's Valet mode is a form of wire tapping... HM.. so you can't monitor what someone else is doing with your property, but your private messages on facebook are property of the company. Yes this is where the line should be drawn...

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...legal-trouble/

Razor 10-01-2014 12:14 PM

So the issue is that you can't record someone without their consent? Even if its in your privately owned vehicle? I'm not clear on exactly why this is against the law.

Yardbird 10-01-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razor (Post 14425)
So the issue is that you can't record someone without their consent? Even if its in your privately owned vehicle? I'm not clear on exactly why this is against the law.

its the cabin audio recording that's been deemed as wire tapping. Not what the car tapes happening infront of them.

Although realistically one question does beg to be asked, why is THIS Valet mode? Why not just neuter performance and limit the car to second gear or something?

Easy enough to program into the software and no warrants needed ;)

TheSix 10-01-2014 06:55 PM

They should try using a valet mode like what the hellcat has.
That along with more. I'd like to see something that has a set mileage range for the valet that shuts off when they have reached that capacity, so at least they won't be able to hoon around with your car.

Razor 10-02-2014 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSix (Post 14457)
They should try using a valet mode like what the hellcat has.
That along with more. I'd like to see something that has a set mileage range for the valet that shuts off when they have reached that capacity, so at least they won't be able to hoon around with your car.

Yea but then your car might shut down in the middle of a highway or something. That sounds like a terrible idea.

Limiting it to 2nd gear could work though. At least some type of speed limiter. I guess recording audio of the valet is a bit of invasion of privacy even if its your car. I don't see what the valet is saying really matters when ou are already monitoring how he is driving and everything.

TheSix 10-02-2014 06:18 PM

That's true.
Or just park your own car, no more valet problems :D

Razor 10-03-2014 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSix (Post 14481)
That's true.
Or just park your own car, no more valet problems :D

Valets are a luxury for sure. I've never even used one to be honest. Seems like a pretty easy thing to avoid if you ask me.

Do you guys get the chance to use a valet very often?

TheSix 10-06-2014 03:32 PM

I have used them before on cars of mine that weren't anything special, anytime I had a car I really cared about I never let them drive it, park it myself somewhere.

Razor 10-07-2014 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSix (Post 14521)
I have used them before on cars of mine that weren't anything special, anytime I had a car I really cared about I never let them drive it, park it myself somewhere.

Which is funny because valets are a luxury service yet once you actually have the luxury car to match the service, you are too concerned about the car to let someone else drive it.

TheSix 10-07-2014 01:53 PM

Some care, some don't, which is fine. I know guys with Ferrari 458's that don't really question what a valet does with their car. But where you go also matters. If it's some super high end place...chances are those valet's won't do any harm to your ride.