Is Chevy playing it too safe with the next-generation Camaro? - 6th Gen Camaro Forum

post #1 of 4 Old 10-17-2014, 04:23 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Is Chevy playing it too safe with the next-generation Camaro?

SO now that we are starting to get a better idea of what the next-generation Camaro will be like given recent spy shots I thought it would be good to start a discussion around if Chevy has pushed the design of the Camaro far enough. Let's first take a look at the recent render that shows the supposed differences between the current-gen Camaro and the next generation Camaro.

As you can see there aren't really any major differences between the two. Why has Chevy taken this approach? I would say its partly because Chevy has been outselling the Mustang over the past few years. From the beginning of this year toill June Chevy recorded 38,951 Camaro sales while Ford recorded 36,600 Mustang sales. Not a huge difference, but still a win for Chevy. It may be the case that Chevy feels that it shouldn't mess with a good thing.

Is Chevy playing it too safe though? Remember back to concept sketches that were released by Chevy itself. These sketches show some interesting and imaginative ideas about what the Camaro could be. With how little is changed from the Camaro5 to the Camaro6, was this a missed opportunity for Chevy to push the design of the Carmaro into a more bold, exciting and new area?

Of course there is going to be more to this muscle car battle than just design. In terms of performance the two cars should be very similar so that is probably going to be a wash. I think that the scale will be tipped with marketing and design. Mustang marketing has been crazy good, so Chevy will have to make sure that they keep up with an equaling exciting launch.

So, do you think that Chevy has a missed opportunity by not pushing further with its design, or do you think that it is a smart move to stick close to the current generation and bank on people continuing to prefer the Camaro to the Mustang? Do you wish that some more of what we saw in the concept sketches made it to the next-generation Camaro.
post #2 of 4 Old 10-24-2014, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I think chevy is playing it too safe, for the most part they're sticking to a design that we're already well familiar with, i was wanting to see something different this time around.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-04-2014, 10:53 AM Thread Starter

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
They have to stick close to the core Camaro characteristics, but there was still a lot of room for them to explore that they didn't really make use of. I would have liked them to just take a risk with something. I think they should have tried something new with the grille. It's not like they had to change the whole design, but a little surprise somewhere would have been nice. Maybe we will still get that surprise.

post #4 of 4 Old 11-04-2014, 06:47 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
I love the headlights here:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the 6th Gen Camaro Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page